The Tahoe Regional Planning Agency will release its Draft 2012 Regional Plan, Draft 2012 Regional Transportation Plan and environmental documents for both plans during a two-day meeting this week.
The documents contain regulations designed to guide all aspects of development and transportation in the Lake Tahoe Basin for the next two decades.
How much time people will have to review and comment on the environmental documents is one of the decisions in front of the agency’s Governing Board at this week’s meeting. The 15-member board will consider whether there should be a 60-, 75- or 90-day public comment period. Public workshops are scheduled in May under each option.
“All three options also have Governing Board public hearing dates in May for the public to provide comments on the record,” according to a TRPA staff report. “These hearings will be held on both the north and south shores as well as during the day and evening to encourage wide participation. The public may also provide comments via e-mail or letter.”
Also during this week’s meeting, the TRPA will release the Draft 2011 Threshold Evaluation Report, which tracks how the agency is doing on dozens of environmental goals. The goals, known as thresholds, have been evaluated every five years, but will now be reviewed every four years, according to TRPA spokeswoman Kristi Boosman.
Some of the policies to be discussed during the Regional Plan Update:
• Retaining the existing regional growth control system. Most of the current policies in the Regional plan will remain in place.
• Integrating TRPA requirements with the plans and permits of other government agencies.
• Encouraging property owners to transfer development rights from sensitive or outlying areas to developed areas.
• Removing regulatory barriers to redevelopment of rundown buildings.
• Simplifying burdensome regulations for homeowners.
• Joining with the Regional Transportation plan to support sidewalk and bike trail projects.
Source: Tahoe Daily Tribune posted on April 20th, 2012 by Adam Jensen – http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20120420/ARCHIVES01/120419886&parentprofile=search